According to the official data, 60% of Canadians engage in gambling of some type. 43% of these gamblers spend up to 20CAD on gambling each month. This means that they prefer casual playing with moderate deposits.
Although Canada has liberal laws regarding gambling, online casinos are not officially allowed. But this country’s criminal code doesn’t impose any sanctions for gamblers who play on offshore sites. Thus, it’s easy to access an online Canadian casino that’s been licensed by authorities in Gibraltar, Cyprus, Malta, Isle of Man, or other locations.
As a gambler, you have to be careful about the websites you access. They have to hold valid licenses, and they must be safe. Our team analyzes, tests, and reviews sites that accept Canadians. Check out our casino list; it will make your choice easier.
500% up to $500
150% up to C$200
100% up to $200
Evolution of Canadian Online Casinos: from Offline to Online Gambling
Canadian laws are especially strict against any unethical Internet practices. That’s why the lawmakers are careful about legalizing online casino games. Up to this date, the provinces haven’t made any regulations that would enable gambling sites to be licensed within the country’s territory.
On the other hand, the laws for land-based casinos are very liberal. From small bingo halls to commercial casino operations and racetracks, everything is allowed. All legal gambling is under provincial jurisdiction, so regulations may vary.
With the exception of Newfoundland and Labrador, all provinces allow casinos to operate. There are over 100 casinos that offer all kinds of games and entertainment for their visitors.
However, the online casino Canada trend is still very active. Ever since the appearance of gambling sites, the citizens realized that they could access them without any major restrictions. As long as a website is legitimately authorized by a foreign authority, it can accept Canadians.
The casino online Canada options became especially popular during 2020, when most gamblers had no option but to play from home.
Kahnawake Gaming Authority
Although official Canadian laws are strict towards online gambling, there is a licensing authority functioning within its territories. The Kahnawake Gaming Commission was established in 1999, and has licensed several websites since then. All these Kahnawake online casinos are hosted within the Mohawk Territory of Kahnawake.
In addition, gamblers can count on sites licensed by the UK Gambling Commission, Malta Gaming Authority, and a few other licensing authorities.
Legal Regulations for Online Casinos in Canada
Gambling businesses are mostly regulated in Section 202 of the Criminal Code of Canada. However, the Criminal Code does not involve any sections on online casinos. It’s clear that they cannot be registered and licensed within the country. However, the practice of gambling via the Internet is not strictly prohibited.
The government will not charge you for access to online casino and you can easily enjoy online casinos in a legal way. You’ll have access to a variety of websites that can accept you as a foreign player. As for taxes, Canada does not impose any on winnings from gambling.
Types of Casino Online Games to Play
The online gambling environment mimics the one of real casinos. Casino software developers launch realistic games that grant you a realistic experience. These are the most popular online casino games Canada:
The game is offered in several variations: five-card draw, stud poker, Texas Hold’em, and more. You can choose to play software-based poker, but live dealer studios are also available online. Virtual casinos accept minimum bets of $0.10 or even $0.01 per event, depending on the site. High-stake games and tournaments are offered, too.
Poker is not the easiest game for complete beginners, especially in live studios where the competition is huge. But it’s a fun game to learn and practice with minimum deposits.
- Online casino slots
Slots are the most exciting and easiest games for beginners to play. They don’t require much time; you can spin a slot in a matter of seconds during breaks from work. Online slots can come with fixed or progressive bonuses. Progressive slots may award you millions of dollars if you get lucky.
Blackjack is a classic casino online game, which is even available for free. Several gambling sites will allow you to practice your skills without signing up and depositing money. When you’re ready to start gambling for real, you’ll access several variants by different software providers.
If you’re into low-stakes games, you won’t have to make a large deposit. Online blackjack is available for bets of $1 per hand or even less.
Baccarat is a card game that seems complex at first, but can be learned in a matter of minutes. Most online casinos offer brief instructions. The online version is available through software and live dealer games. The minimum required bet can start as low as $0.10.
The most popular roulette variations for Canadians are French, American, European, and Mini roulette. All of them are available online, both through programmed and live studio options. The minimum required bets vary from site to site, but they are much lower when compared to land-based casinos. You can make bets of $1 per spin and still win a decent amount of money.
Bonuses in a Canadian Casino Online
Everything is more exciting when you play with the casino’s money and you get the same chance to win. Gambling sites run promotions all the time. Their intention is to attract more players from Canada, and we have to admit that the strategy works.
These are the types of bonuses you can get:
- Welcome Online Casino Bonuses
These promos are valid for new users. Keep in mind that you’re not allowed to create several profiles to take advantage of the offer. You can only have one real-money profile per website.
The welcome bonus gives you free spins or credits on your first deposit. Some sites extend the offer to the first three or five deposits. With each transaction you make towards your balance, the casino adds more credits.
- Match Bonus
The match online casino promotion may be in the form of a welcome or loyalty offer. It means that the site will match your deposit with free credits by a certain percentage. It may be a 50%, 100%, 200%, or higher match.
As an example, let’s say you deposit $20 and you agree to a 100% match offer. The casino will give you additional $20 in your balance, so you’ll start gambling with $40.
- No Deposit Bonus
If you want to play casino online for free, this is the offer you want to get. You’re only required to sign-up with real details, and you’ll get credits to try on slots or/and other games.
- Special Promotions
Gambling sites compete with special promos, too. You get them on Christmas, New Year, and other important dates. These bonuses usually require you to enter a code when making a deposit, so pay attention to the special terms.
Speaking of terms, you should always read them, regardless of the bonus you’re interested in. Each online casino in Canada will impose wagering requirements. You need a favorable offer with reasonable terms. We recommend gamblers to read our reviews before choosing a bonus.
Canadian Online Casino Banking Options
When considering a payment method for online gambling activities, we recommend gamblers to choose one that works for both deposits and withdrawals. That makes things more convenient.
Here are a few common banking options that Canadians use:
- ecoPayz, ecoCard, Skrill, Neteller, and other e-wallets – they work well because it doesn’t share information from your bank with casinos
- Credit and debit cards – it’s safe to use them on licensed and well-reviewed websites
- Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies – they aren’t accepted in every Canada online casino, but you can find options if you check our reviews
- Bank transfers – they take more time, so they aren’t convenient for deposits; but it’s one of the safest methods for large withdrawals
Mobile Availability of Online Casino Sites
Smartphones are an essential aspect of our daily lives. We use them to access all online services. Gambling shouldn’t be different, and it’s not! Almost all sites that accept players from Canada are mobile-friendly. You can access them from any tablet or smartphone.
What’s the difference in playing casino games online via mobile?
- You can access your favorite games anytime. Software developers make them perfect for a smaller screen.
- Gambling apps are available, too. If you prefer having an app instead of accessing a website whenever you want to play, you can check the recommended applications that we reviewed.
- You may get special bonuses for accessing a casino online via an app. It’s the company’s way of attracting you to install the applications and play the games more often.
- 👮 Is it legal to enter online casinos Canada?
- Yes! The Criminal Code does not prevent you from gambling on websites that are licensed by the Kahnawake Gaming Authority and foreign licensing authorities. You can access sites licensed in Gibraltar, Malta, the UK, and a few other countries. As long as players are careful and choose safe casinos, they don’t have anything to worry about.
- 🎁 What bonus can I get?
- Canadians can get welcome, loyalty, and special bonuses of different kinds. Match bonuses are the most common offers. When depositing money, gambling sites give them extra credits in the balance.
- 💸 How can I deposit at Canadian casinos online?
- The depositing process is easy. You will need to create a real-money profile first. The websites only accept gamblers of legal age, who provide their real information. Each site has its security protocols, which impose identity verification methods. Once you sign up, you can choose one of the deposit methods and set the amount. Deposits are instant, unless you opt for a bank transfer.
- 📲 Can I play on mobile?
- Yes! All online casinos have mobile-friendly websites. Some of them offer downloadable apps. We recommend gamblers to read an online casino review, which will lead them to a site with a flawless mobile version and a functional application.
- 🎰 What is the easiest online casino game?
- Beginners usually choose slots. They don’t need to follow specific gameplay rules and develop strategies. All they do is set a bet, spin the wheel, and hope for a favorable outcome. As for card games, Baccarat is the simplest option.
- 💲 What is a minimum deposit at an online casino?
- It depends on the website’s policies. There are sites that accept players with a minimum deposit of $10. Others require at least $20. Bonuses may require a higher minimum deposit for eligibility, so make sure to read the terms before transferring money.